Am I required to learn Mandarin if I want to teach in China?
No, you can teach in China without knowing how to speak the language. Speaking in Mandarin are usually discouraged by the schools whilst inside their premises as the students are expected to be fully immersed in the English language.
Will the school sponsor my visa?
Yes, your school will arrange the necessary documentations needed to obtain a legal 1year work (Z) visa for you. The visa process can take between 4 to 8 weeks depending on how soon you can provide your documents.
Will the school arrange airport pick up on my arrival?
Yes, normally the school’s staff will be picking you up at the airport and check you in at the hotel or bring you to your apartment and help you settle in.
How soon will I get paid?
Salaries are paid in Chinese currency on a monthly basis.
How can I get a local SIM card?
You can purchase a new SIM card upon arrival at the telecom shops at the
arrival area for about RMB100 and get data and voice calls for about RMB60 to RMB100 depending on your consumption. Please note that your phone needs to be unlocked before buying the SIM card.
Will accommodations be provided?
Some schools will provide you with a fully furnished apartment close to the school while some will give you housing
allowance as part of your salary package.
What are the documents needed to obtain a work permit?
You will need to provide authenticated copies of your bachelor’s degree, non-criminal record and teaching certificates such as TEFL, TESOL, CELTA. Authentication of documents should be done at the Chinese embassy/consulate in your home country.
How much money will I need upon arrival?
You will generally need around RMB5,000 for your living expense to help you get by until your first pay day, excluding the initial payment for rent. Landlords in China usually require 3 months advance and 1month deposit and ranges between RMB 12,000 – RMB 15,000. We strongly recommend for you to bring cash and exchange your money in China as the rates are higher and also to avoid issues when withdrawing cash from the local ATM machines.
Can I open a local bank account in China?
Yes you can, you just need to present your valid work visa and employment contract to the bank.
Is it true that Google, Facebook, Instagram and other apps are blocked in China?
Unfortunately, you won’t be able to access these as long as you’re in China unless you have VPN. There are plenty of VPN services that you can choose from that are free of charge or for a fee.
Room 811, No. 53 Huangpu road, Hongkou District, Shanghai